Voting FAQ


Required Identification for Voting in Person

Voters should bring their voter registration certificate AND other identification to the polls.

The list of acceptable forms of ID is available here. PDF

Brief Summary of Major Election-Related Legislation Passed
82nd Texas Legislature Session

How do I qualify to vote?
  1. You must be a citizen of the United States.
  2. You must be at least 18 years old on the day of the election.
  3. You must be registered to vote.
How do I register to vote?
Contact the Denton County Elections Administration office. You can also request a voter registration card on-line from the Secretary of State.
Is there a time limit for registering to vote?
You may register to vote at any time. However, in order for you to vote in a particular election, your application for registration must be postmarked or received by the county voter registrar at least 30 days before that election.
What is my proof of having registered?
After registering, you receive a voter registration certificate which you should present at the polling place when you go to vote. It has printed on it your voting precinct.
I’ve lost my registration certificate, can I still vote?
You may vote without your certificate by signing an affidavit at the polling place stating that you do not have your certificate and are a registered voter. The polling place will have a list of registered voters.
Is my certificate ever updated?
Yes. You will receive a new certificate every two years as long as your registration is not canceled. This will be sent to your address that is listed as your address when you register. You will have to update your registration if you move.
What happens when I move?
If you move within the same county, you need to notify the county voter registrar in writing of your new address. You should do this as soon as possible. If you move from one county to another, you must register in your new county before you can vote.
Ok, I moved, and I forgot to register early enough. Can I still vote?
You may be eligible to vote a limited ballot for 90 days after you move if your new registration is not yet effective. However, the limited ballot is available only during early voting, not on election day. Contact the county clerk or elections administrator in your new county for information.
Can I vote by mail?
Voting by mail is an option for some eligible people. Call the Denton County Elections Administrator for information.
What can I take into the polling place?
You may bring a Voters Guide, such as the guide published by the League of Women Voters of Texas Education Fund, into the voting booth. In a recent case, U.S. District Judge Sim Lake struck down as unconstitutional a 1903 Texas law prohibiting use of pre-printed materials, such as the League’s Voters Guide, in the polling place.
How do I find the polling place in my precinct?
You can call the Denton County Elections Administrator for information. The elections administrator website maintains a list of polling places and their precincts. Polling places are often published in the local newspaper before the election. Use the Denton County Voter Registration Database Search to determine your precinct.
How is my political party determined?
When you vote in a political party’s primary, you become a member of that party for the next two years or until the next primary election. Your voting certificate will be stamped, at the time you vote, with the name of the party in whose primary you vote. You may vote in only one party’s primary. If there is a run-off, you may vote only in the same party’s run-off election. Only party members may participate in the precinct, county or senatorial district, and state conventions of a particular party. Proof of party affiliation (i.e., your stamped voting certificate) is needed in order to be admitted to a party’s convention.